Friday, February 11, 2011

Anna's Birth Story

Prince T
February 2003

My first baby was in a breech presentation. "Your water bag has burst for more than 24hrs, leaving little fluid for baby to turn." my doctor told me. I was advised to have a Caesarean section.

Prince J
Mar 2005

For the birth of my 2nd son, I wanted to have a VBAC. I read up, did my research, planned, consulted, and did my exercises. My gynae was supposedly supportive, but on hindsight, I realised a lot of things went in the way of a Caesarean section. I went into labour spontaneously and laboured for more than 24 hours, but was still not fully dilated. It was then that my gynae suggested a Caesarean section due to "Failure to Progress".

I was very upset at the turn of events. I was not sure if I even wanted another baby because of the kind of birth process I had gone through. Family and friends reminded me to focus on the bundles of joy that I have, and not on the process. Over time, I got over it, but never forgot how it felt to have things out of control and totally the way I didn't like it to be.

When I finally felt ready to have another child, I was very determined that it not be a scary experience, but a joyful one. I engaged a doula, and prepared for it even more than for my second child. I also decided to switch to a doctor that was fully supportive of a VBA2C (Vaginal Birth After 2 Caesareans).

Princess E
Feb 2010
Successful VBA2C (Vaginal Birth After 2 Caesareans)
Natural birth, drug-free


It was the most amazing experience. Much more relaxing this time round as I laboured mostly at home. I got to the hospital at 1.45pm, and in less than 2 hours, Princess E was born at 3.21pm. Even my hubby felt like crying tears of joy. He keeps saying he wants more kids now, because of how joyful he felt, and how wonderful the birth experience was. But we are stopping at three, as they are already quite a handful!

- Anna

1 comment: